Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This Be The Verse-By Philip Larkin


On Tuesday we read a collection of poems written by different authors. The one that I liked the most was “This Be The Verse” written by an English poet called Philip Larkin. The poem begins with “They fuck you up, your mum and dad.” It is interesting how the author wrote these words right at the beginning of the poem. I think he did this because he wanted to grab our attention and makes you read it till the end. When I read the first line of the poem I started to laugh then I realized that this poem it is one of my favorite. The poem talks about parent-child relationship. At the beginning we see that the author tells us that there will be many cases when something goes wrong our parents will think that is our fault and they do not have to do anything with that. Even if it is not our fault, they still will say that it is ours and maybe sometimes they will add “extra” problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment